Thursday, March 6, 2008
A Simple Solution?
The other night Mary and I were watching the news about a baby boy who was adopted with a lot of health problems. He had been kept alive by taking many medications and being fed through his bellybutton. The main issue was that his kidneys didn't work so he needed a transplant in order to have "normal" healthy life. He had waited for almost a year when an adult man, who is a complete stranger, stepped up after hearing about this boy and said he would be willing to donate a kidney to this boy. We thought it was pretty cool that this guy donated his kidney for this little boy. As the news cast went on the interviewer was asking the director of live organ donations about this. I guess there is a problem with few live donations. The director says and I quote "It's a simple solution, if people would just step up and donate an organ...." I instantly scoffed at this remark. I think this guy is an incredible person to donate his kidney to this little boy, but for most people I think it's going to be a very hard decision to part with a piece of their body. Something functions in a way that keeps them healthy and alive. Don't get me wrong, if anyone in my family needed an organ I think it would be much easier to make the decision to donate but to donate to a total stranger is a different story. So in short, come on people, it's really a simple solution, just donate your organs while you are still using them, then all will be well and our society will be a better place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm an organ donor...but that's when I die. I'm not sure I could do the live donation thing. Maybe for a family member, but I have my own kids...Am I selfish to want to conserve my health? I know that live donation is harder on the donor than the receiver sometimes.
I guess my point is I agree with you. :)
I am all about donating after I pass or to a family member in need. It was an amazing act of kindness. I would just be worried that once I gave something up I or one of my kids would need one. Then I would be left having to wait. Sounds selfish I guess, but there it is.
I always thought it would be cool to participate in some kind of random act of organ donation. Show up at a hospital and be like, "Ok! Who needs a kidney?" I'll let you know if i ever do it.
I think I'd have to know the person pretty well, and like them an awful lot to do the live donation thing. Did you hear about the one on the news recently where some lady got a kidney from a Starbucks employee that she'd only met over the counter a few times? Its crazy! I think its great that there are people out there so willing, I just don't know how willing I would be.
Post a Comment