In honor of the first day of Spring, I'd like to share one of my favorite poems. It reminds me of all the most beautiful of God's creations that re-emerge at this time of year.
Pied Beauty
Gerard Manley Hopkins
Glory be to God for dappled things-
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut falls; finches' wings.
Landscape plotted and pieced-fold, fallow, and plough.
And all trades, their gear and tackle, and trim.
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour, adazzle, dim;
He fathers forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise Him
And here's my list of favorite things about spring, although not put quite as poetically as Hopkins.
warm days
riding bikes
going to the park
feeding the ducks
reading a book outside
Easter
General Conference
sandals
no scraping off my car
fewer layers of kids' clothing=less laundry and ease of carseat loading and unloading
What are your favorite things about spring?
7 comments:
You had such a good list, what can I add?
I love when the kids can wear shorts again, it's so fun to pinch their little legs after having them covered up so long!
I love seeing the sun again.
I love family walks.
I love my MIL's Easter egg hunts...one for the kids and one for the adults!
I love traveling to TX to visit my family and my BFF.
I love the TX state flower, the bluebonnet, which grows wildly this time of year in TX.
I love hanging out outside with the other Hanbury moms. :)
I love Spring!!
Everything you said and..
We love water skiing! Hanging out on the lake is so fun, getting tan.
Taking a ride on Jake's motorcycle.
Girls camp, wahoo!!!
And we love that it stays light outside longer.
It has felt like spring for a few months now on and off in texas. I love it. I just feel happier during this time of year. My favorite is listening to my kids play nearby, while reading a great book and feeling the sun on my face!
A few more to add:
- no more coats
- feeling the gentle breeze
- going for walks
- barbeque's
- camp fires
- hikes in the canyon
I like:
sandals
jackets
adapting my body to the strange and unfamiliar seratonin this thing called "sunlight" provides. I have to go out in increments, increasing each time, like deep sea divers do so they don't get the bends.
blossoms--magnolia trees!!! i suddenly got very excited. these trees are gorrrrgeous.
outdoor seating at restaurants
street fairs
popsicles
i think i just went into summer
ridin' bikes
etc
etc
WARM WEATHER!!! I can't wait for it. I also love thunder/lightening storms. They are so exhilarating. Thanks for getting me all pumped. :)
hey you,
to add to your list of wonderful things about spring...spring flowers are my favorite. i love tulips, lilies, paperwhites, etc.
how are you? i've been thinking about you lately..remembering italy, i guess, but you've been on my mind. hope you all are well and happy!
Post a Comment