Friday, February 12, 2010

Please Don't Read Unless You Occasionally Have the Sense of Humor of a 7th Grade Boy

Let's set the scene. A few weeks ago, my sister-in-law Jen wrote this gem of a blog entry. She was sick and her husband Sean stayed home to help her with things:


Jen: Sean, I'm so glad you stayed home from work. Seriously, I would have been an absolute wreck. Well, more than I already unbelievably was. Sorry about that...

Sean: No, way. I am glad too. I wanted to be here for your wreck-dom.

Jen: my what??

Sean: NO! your-- wreck! like w-r-e-c-k...
after 20 years of laughing, hunched over...

Jen: No.. no thanks. I think i'm ok in that department...

So. . . to completely appreciate the following story, you need a little more background info. When I was in college I took some classes in philosophy and literary criticism. One work in particular talked about how language is violent because it imposes names on things without permission. Lame, I know. Anyway, Jon and I have a running joke about it. And now. . .

A few nights ago at dinner, we happened to be eating peas.
Grace asked, "Why are these called peas?"
Jon took the opportunity to mock, and said "Yes, Grace. Excellent question. How do we know they wanted to be called peas? Maybe they wanted to be called something else. . . "
And I cleared everything up by saying, "Because of their inherent pea-ness."

After which there was much red-faced laughing and explaining to do.

12 comments:

The Yosts said...

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying! Thanks for the laughs.

Michele said...

Me too!

Rosalene said...

I needed a good laugh...thanks. How is Jen, by the way? Other than the above illness? I knew her from Brooklyn. Are they still there? She is darling. Take care, friend. Hope you are well...are you still going to be in Logan come summertime?

)en said...

Well hello, Rosalene! I am well. ;) You are sweet. Hope you are well too!

Ahhh man... this is awesome. I love "inherent" almost just as much.

writings said...

Ummm...I think you have another running joke! HILARIOUS!

Inspired said...

PS That last comment was by me, my husband was signed in.

Rebecca said...

very funny!

Tina said...

:)

Unknown said...

Oh my...funny, funny! You guys are so entertaining!

Emmett and Ashlee said...

I needed a good laugh today. Thank you guys. That is flipping hilarious.

Rachel said...

I must be very immature and 7th grade-ish because I'm still choking on my chocolate milk--that was funny!

The Clanton Gang said...

OH my gosh--I literally have tears streaming down my face. That is the funniest post I've read in a long time!! LOL