Monday, May 10, 2010

Grace Update

Yesterday Grace was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Apparently, the problems began some time ago. Knowing what we now know, serious outward symptoms began a few weeks ago, but became impossible to ignore or dismiss this past weekend. We got in to see a doctor on Sunday and a few tests confirmed what we had begun to suspect.

We checked into the hospital immediately to begin treatment. Her blood sugar levels were so high that the doctors told us she was maybe a few days away from being in the ICU. We've now learned that her blood sugar level should be between 80-150. Her first reading after being admitted was 885. Since arriving Grace has learned to deal with IV's, insulin shots, and blood sugar finger pricks. She is very afraid of needles so this has been quite traumatic for her and us. She will learn to get used to it, but it all feels very overwhelming right now.

She was taken off the IV this morning and is happy to be more mobile. Today we will be meeting with a few different specialists to learn how to manage this disease. Hopefully, we will be home by tomorrow. Basically, Grace will have to carefully monitor her blood sugar and insulin levels and take daily insulin shots every day for the rest of her life. Overwhelmed is really the word of the day around here. We're dealing with things the best we can and we're confident that eventually we will find a new normal and let her concentrate on having fun and being a kid.

We want to thank everyone for their love and support. Thank you to those who watched Emmeline and Max so Jon and I could be together at the hospital. Thank you to those who called to give support and encourage Grace. Thank you, Thank you, thank you! As overwhelmed as we are by what is happening, we are equally overwhelmed by your love, concern, and generosity. We'll try to post updates as we move forward.

Love,
Mary, Jon, and Grace

P.S. If I was supposed to be anywhere, give rides, provide school snacks, or basically do anything responsible over the next little while, please forgive me if I drop the ball.

23 comments:

Emmett and Ashlee said...

Man. I am so sorry for poor Grace and you guys. That is so hard. She is such a tough girl. You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Cordie said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Poor Grace, she is such a great girl. My thoughts are with your family.

The Taylor Family said...

Oh.. I am so sorry! I hope she is feeling better! I wish we could help some way.. she'll be in my prayers!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Please remember that I am always just a few doors away if you need anything. My prayers are with you all as you learn this new way of life. :)

Rachel Seren said...

You're an amazing family and you will be in our prayers! I am glad Grace has such strong faithful parents to see her through this. I hope all goes well the next few weeks and you are able to get the info and help you'll need.

Michele said...

Mary, I have been doing some research lately on whole and raw foods. It's amazing! In a nutshell, eating whole and raw foods allows your body systems to function as they were mean't to, to nourish and clean the body. When there is an imbalance in one or more of the systems, they are comprimised and that's where most disease begins. When our body systems are in harmony and functioning properly disease is prevented and even reversed. Whole and raw foods plays a major role in this.
I know this may sound kooky and there are wierd fanatics out there, but this just makes sense. Check out this professor from BYU. Her name is Robyn Oppenshaw. greensmoothiegirl.com
Good luck!

FRANK AND HEATHER MAILE said...

We love you guys! Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. We are here to help out any way we can!

mills5 said...

Mary, I am so glad you let us in on what is happening. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Chad & Chelsey said...

You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know what we can do to help you. Hang in there!

Rachel said...

How sad! Dang, that is going to be hard to adjust.We'll pray for sweet Grace.

I'm glad you got in before it became an ICU situation!

Tina said...

Wow. That is a lot for a little girl to go through. I'm glad to hear that she's handling it so well and that she didn't have to end up in the ICU. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Sandra said...

I remember you mentioning how scared she was of getting the shot at the school so it has to be tough. We are hear for you if you need us. Just call! hugs!

Rosalene said...

Good grief! I'm glad everything is getting taken care of. What a not so fun thing for grace to have to deal with! So sorry. Happy Mothers Day!;). Love you

Rebecca said...

wow! i cant believe it! poor thing!Brinley will ask about her here an there! Ive her hugs from us and we will be praying that all will work out smoothly and the best it can!

Brett said...

So sorry, Grace. Needles are nothing to be afraid of. Now you get to pretend that you are injecting yourself with serum so you don't "Hulk" out on your dad.

I have a girl in my 8-year-old primary class who was diagnosed with Type I when she was three. She is fortunate to have a pump that I think takes care of her injections. I will find out more so I am helpful in this process and not relegated to the lame guy who makes lamer comments about unfortunate news (See "Hulk" above).

Go Grace!! I will never eat sugar around you again.

P.S. I drink the green drink almost every day--good stuff: natural apple juice, water, apple, banana, blue berries, (two to three fruits) carrots and two large handfuls of spinach. I am a fan.

Jaggi Family said...

If only those darn "green " drinks had insulin in them, then they would really be helpful!!!

Stevens Family said...

Oh so sorry to hear that happened, we will be praying for you. Jared dealt alot with this when he worked at Primary Children's, and he was telling me about what this means for your family. You guys are amazing and will do great. We love ya.

Ginger said...

It sounds like you already have a good perspective about the whole situation. If any mom can handle this with strength, I know it's you. Forza, sorella! I'll be keeping little Grace in my prayers.

writings said...

I am so sorry. You all are in our thoughts and prayers. You can do this! Call if you need anything!

Amber said...

I'm so glad that you're home from the hospital now and that you were able to catch this before things got much worse. I still remember teaching Grace in nursery and she is the sweetest little girl - she always made us laugh! We'll keep you in our our prayers :)

Tiffany said...

Mary- I know you don't know me very well, but please let me know if there is anything we can do to help. Meals, cleaning... anything. My old roomate's niece was diagnosed with diabetes not very long ago and she is about Grace's age. It has been really hard for them. I can understand the needle thing, I used to faint everytime people even talked about them :). My friend's niece goes to Dr. Clark at the budge because he also has diabetes. I am sure you have already found someone good, but just wanted to let you know.

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness, poor Grace!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I could handle what sounds like a very traumatic thing for her, but the Lord knows she is tough and strong--AND she has fabulous parents who will help her adjust. You guys are amazing and my prayers are with you!!!

Stephanie said...

I'm sorry. When a child gets an unexpected diagnosis, I know it can turn the world on its head for a while. She's lucky to have bright and capable parents who will do everything it takes to keep her healthy and make the "new normal" be just fine. Sending prayer thoughts your way . . .