Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Power of Example

So a week or so ago I was standing in the kitchen talking with Mary and holding the newspaper in my hand. Grace walks up to me, grabs my hand, and says "come on Daddy." I'm not quite sure what she has in mind. Leading me by the hand she leads me into my room stops and looks up at me. Mary followed because she was interested in what Grace was doing. So we're in our room and Grace sits down. Now I'm really confused as to what she is doing so I ask her "what do you want Grace?" She looks up at me, (remember I'm standing there, still holding the newspaper in my hand) and says "daddy go to the bathroom." It took me and Mary about .3 seconds to realized that Grace has learned to associate newspaper and me with the bathroom.

I'm with the girls this morning and I'm taking care of things while Mary is out exercising. I was in the kitchen and I hear Emme in the bathroom taking care of business. I walk around the corner and this is what I see.



So I guess not only has Grace learned how to associate reading with going to the bathroom, but Emme has as well. It's a wonder that there were any literate societies before indoor plumbing.

2 comments:

)en said...

haha. it's so true. bathroom reading is the best, i'm not going to lie. good work teaching your daughters this important tradition.

AJones said...

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
seriously all i can do is laugh....It might run in the genes (no pun intended) because I know where "grandpa max" is heading when he has a newspaper in hand his faded musty old pink chair or the pot.