Ok, so today I get into work and the main programmer (Tim) on our team at work instant messages me from Rexburg Idaho. He asks if I have some time and I say sure. He tells me that he was trying to update our server here in our office from Rexburg and something went wrong and now the server is dead. So I ask him what he wants me to do. He asks if I can check on it and see what it's doing. Now let me tell you that I have no idea how to work a server. I can do most things on a normal computer but on a server, your guess is as good as mine. I tell Tim ok and I go check on the server. I have to walk down to the server room and once inside I find that the server does not have a keyboard or monitor. So now I have to go back to my office and find a keyboard and monitor. Once that is taken care of I have to figure what the stuff means that I'm seeing on the screen. I run back to my office to chat with Tim, (once again using technology) to find out what he wants/needs me to do. I get sick of all this running around and I track down a laptop and take it to the server room with me so I can chat with Tim and figure out what I'm doing. Needless to say, there was a lot of internet chatting and me trying to do stuff with the server that meant nothing to me.
So now my question is, is technology worth it? I was able to help Tim get things fixed after a few hours of work and a few tries. I used technology to communicate with Tim to fix technology and somehow this felt a little ironic at times. What if we didn't have technology like this? Would life be quieter and calmer? Would we be less happy without it?
So now my question is, is technology worth it? I was able to help Tim get things fixed after a few hours of work and a few tries. I used technology to communicate with Tim to fix technology and somehow this felt a little ironic at times. What if we didn't have technology like this? Would life be quieter and calmer? Would we be less happy without it?
4 comments:
I absolutely believe life would be calmer without all the technology. Although, I think it is a sign of my advancing age that I feel such enmity towards technological improvements. :)
Good question, Jon. I think the most important point, however, is that while your life may be quieter without technology, it would be completely Ash-free, except for maybe a letter once a year. So what do you think now? Aren't you a little bit glad that I can harass you by the means of technology?
Stop the humanity!!!
ash-free sounds like rash-free, but i guess they are one and the same. HAHA!
Post a Comment