Okay, greatness may be a bit of a stretch. But I thought that a post about run-ins with the famous or almost famous would be fun.
Rosie O'Donnell and others--After my freshmen year of college, my roommate and I took a trip to New York just for fun. We were walking around the city one evening and happened to be outside a theater when we notice a crowd gathering. We found out that a Broadway play was opening and the crowd was expecting some famous people. So we stuck around and saw Gov. George Pataki, Wendy Wasserstein, and then the Queen of Nice herself (this was during her days as a talk show host) Rosie O'Donnell. She passed probably about 5 feet from me. A man asked for her autograph, but she told him that she only gives autographs to kids. I did slyly snap a couple of pictures but alas I have no scanner at home so you'll just have to use your imagination, or try not to, depending on your opinion of Rosie.
Steve Young--When my brother Jason was in college, he played football for the U of U. Go Utes! At that time, their kicker was named Steve Young. So one night my mom called upstairs to my room where I was hunkered down reading a book (shocker) and said "Steve Young is here. We're going to play games as a family with him." I thought, wow, some random team mate of Jason's is here to play games and I'm supposed to care? I called back, "No thanks. I think I'll just read." So there I sat content as could be the rest of the night. The next day my other brothers and sisters kept talking about how much fun it had been and how nice Steve Young was. I told them they were making a too big a deal about a guy who kicked field goals for the U. And that's when they told me that it was actually the other Steve Young who had come over. Apparently he was dating my next door neighbor Pam who was a good friend of Jason's. So they came over and hung out all night playing games while I stayed up in my room and read.
Steve Young part II--I think every Mormon girl of a certain age has at least a couple of Steve Young stories. Here are all my other run-ins with him. Once I passed him on campus at BYU while he was walking with one of the twins from a Doublemint commercial. He smiled and said Hi. So I said Hi back. Can you handle one more? Before my mission I worked at Thanksgiving Point at the golf course clubhouse. In my one summer there I got to chat with Johnny Miller, Steve Young, Richard Edgely (I think he was in the Presiding Bishopric at the time), Ron McBride, LaVell Edwards, and a bunch of men described to me as really important pro golfers but none of their names stuck. I was super popular with the men in my family that summer because I could play the course for free and anyone in my group could golf for half price. I have fond memories of my summer of golf.
President Hinckley--Jon's brother is married to woman whose father is Pres. Hinckley's nephew. Whew, I hope I got that right. Anyway, when her parents were called to be mission presidents we were all invited to the farewell. Jon and I were just dating at the time, but he invited me to come along. Right before the meeting started, Pres. and Sister Hinckley walked into the chapel and sat on the stand. It was pretty cool to see everyone in the congregation stand for him. The meeting was nice and he said a few words at the end. After the meeting, we all went over to their home for the traditional roll with ham or turkey, pasta salad, and a brownie. When we walked into the backyard, I was so surprised to see Pres. and Sis. Hinckley sitting on a couple of lawn chairs under a tree with a plate on each of their laps. It was one of those moments where the perfectly mundane and the absolutely unexpected collide. The whole time Jon and I were getting our food, he was trying to talk me into going over to them to say hello and shake hands. I kept refusing. It's just not who I am. I am not a picture taker, autograph seeker, jump up and down and squeal, go crazy kind of person. If I have ever seen someone famous, I tend to look the other way just because I hate to feel like I'm imposing or making people uncomfortable. But Jon insisted so eventually we made our way over there and we shook their hands and make a few moments of small talk. My greatest claim to fame ever is actually that when I told Sis. Hinckley my name she told me Mary was her favorite name.
So what are your brushes with greatness?
22 comments:
Hey Mary, thought I would say hi! This was fun to read. I've not really met anyone famous. I did get an autograph from Ed when Extreme Makeover was here..
How could we have been roomies for so long and I hadn't heard a single one of these stories.
Great topic!
Loved these stories, how fun!
Those are fun stories. The only one I can think of at the moment is when I was lined up to go on the field at Stadium of Fire. Jay Leno walked right by me.
When I was in NY after high school graduation, Julia Andrews walked past me. She was/is really short.
But the closest, I mean closest I've been to someone famous would have to Karl Malone. When I was about 15 my dad did some work for Larry Miller and was given some tickets to a game. After the game I was able to go into the locker room and meet the players. Karl walked past me as he was getting out of the shower. So in short, I've been so close to Karl Malone that I've seem him naked.
Those are crazy stories, I love that you just stayed in your room! My brushes with greatness have been seeing, melissa branch and jessica hart, LL Cool J, I was so close I could touch him, but he is a HUGE guy. The coach of the NY yankees who has since been fired, and brian garrett from everybody loves raymond, but he was horrid!!
Rachel, I totally want to hear your Brad Garrett story.
I sold fireworks to Tom Hanks!!! Twin Falls, Idaho when I was in high school. No joke. It was totally him and he was LOADED of course.
I sold fireworks to Tom Hanks!!! In twin falls, idaho when I was in high school. No joke, it was totally him! And he was LOADED! I had to run into Dairy Queen to get change for his hundreds!
The closest I've been to greatness was shaking President Hinkley's hand but I didn't get to have a conversation with him like you! Oh, and I saw Shaq from a distance at a casino in Las Vegas. He was surrounded by tons of body gaurds and everyone was trying to get a glimpse of him. Not nearly as cool as your stories!
ooh--LL Cool J? I'm sure seeing him in person was yummy! :)
how i love and miss you!!!
rachel is coming to utah next week, wanna come down for dinner on Wednesday!?!? we are eating at Citrus Grill off of 33rd South and 23rd East! COME!
my only brushes with greatness are you!
oh wait, i did see Julie Andrews when we were on heritage tours, and i know a girl, Cathryn , that was on What NOT to Wear, and i see the Relief Society presidency pretty often!
how are you?!?! one year left?! right?!?!
i need to come up to Logan and see you!!
love, em
That is really cool! My only "brush" was literally a brush when I worked downtown at ZCMI Center. I was on the esclator when I noticed the old man in front of me was really tall. He turned his head to the side and OH! It's L. Tom Perry. :) I also was directly behind the guy that played McGuiver in the customs line in the LA airport, haha.
Wow... you've seen quite a few famous people. I saw John Ritter once, outside of a theater in New York. I think that's it.
...unless you count Madame Tussauds wax museum. :)
So the Brad Garrett Story... We were in NY and he did a stand up act for Josh's company. The moment he came on it was nothing but the F word over and over and over! VERY offensive sexual comments about women and men in the audience some of whom were the CEO's that hired him to come. We were about to walk out when they actually cut the sound on his mike and he went off thinking it was a sound problem. When he found out it wasn't and that they just wanted him to clean it up a bit he threw a HUGE girly fit and stormed out of the hotel. I used to like Everybody loves Raymond but since then I can't enjoy the show the way I used to.
wow! That would be considered a brush with the ungreat. I'll probably never be able to watch that show the same way again either. Don't you wonder how many other "celebrities" are just highly paid jerks. I've never met Charlize Theron but I used to admire her from things I had read about her. But then I watched an interview she did with Oprah. When Oprah asked her if she wanted to have children she said she really didn't want to destroy her body and look like a bloated cow or whale or something. It's one thing to say that with a bit of humor, like "ha ha, yeah and I'd probably swell up like a whale. . ." but that was so not how she said it. It was with a look of disgust. So since then I haven't really cared for her at all. Thanks for elaborating!
Mary I thought your blog was okay but what happened to a little shout out to Todd Christensen and Dale Murphy. I think your overthinking this and in doing so really doing yourself a diservice! Come on....greatness is all around you!
Mary I thought your blog was okay but what happened to a little shout out to Todd Christensen and Dale Murphy. I think your overthinking this and in doing so really doing yourself a diservice! Come on....greatness is all around you
I have seen many famous people but I'm not sure i've brushed with anything great, famous-wise. When I see someone famous I refuse to stare at them or draw any attention to the fact that I might recognize them. I refuse to give any evidence--feed their ego--to the idea that they might be better than me in any way or might deserve to get their picture taken by a random person, any more than you or I might. In short, I'm a snob and await a real brush with greatness. If you'd like a list of people i've seen though, here it is:
rode the train with Paul Giamatti
rode the train with and saw John Turturro at a farmers market. He lives in my 'hood.
Steve Buscemi
Anderson Cooper
one of the aunt witches on Practical Magic. I think she's the avon lady in Edward Scissorhands. I've seen her twice.
John Krasinski
Maria Sharapova--but that one was at the US Open.
and many others...
While I was in Slovenia Elder Holland was speaking to us. I was in the front row. All of a sudden, he leaped forward and grabbed my shoulders, emphasizing the word surprise, as he spoke. He did that 3 times. Attacked by an apostle!!!
In high school I got to sing, with other classmates, with Celine Dion. The group got to meet with her and take photos right before the concert started. Also President Clinton came to our school and I got to shake his hand.
Adam
I was a volunteer at the opening ceremonies for the SL 2002 Olympics. I was at the "dignitary" drop off point and checked Angelina Jolie's ticket. :) Madeline Albright and Colin Powell walked right past me. Nice. I did walk through the Louvre once with Tracy Chapman. "You've got a fast car." And I saw Caroline Kennedy in Paris once too.
I SWEAR I saw Caroline K. downtown. I was so tempted to follow her just to make sure. I have a pretty good eye for faces. But my pride kept me walking my way.
Post a Comment