Monday, April 7, 2008
A Sweet Treat
Today I was craving something sweet after lunch so I started rummaging through my cupboards to see what I could find. Sadly, I had forgotten that just a few days ago I went on an anti-sugar rampage and threw out all the good stuff in the house. I found candy and chocolate from Valentine's Day and Easter stuffed into all sorts of kitchen nooks and crannies and chucked it all. I was about to give up when a sweet childhood memory floated back to me--one of my favorite desserts from when I was little. Just imagine fresh strawberries, sour cream, and brown sugar. If you're like Jon, you're making a gross out face. But I have to say, don't knock it until you try it! Jon thought I was crazy the first time I mentioned it to him, and now he loves it. It is so easy, so fresh, so delicious, so sweet, so perfect. Just wash and hull as many strawberries as you want. Get a small bowl of sour cream and a small bowl of brown sugar. Then dip the strawberry in the sour cream first, then the brown sugar. And that's it. Oh, please somebody just try this and let me know if you love it as much as I do. And by the way, do any of you have a favorite food that you ate growing up and thought everybody ate, and then you got married or had roommates who looked at you like you were crazy when you ate it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
That sounds interesting! I think I'll have to try it. I also love sliced strawberries, with sprinkled sugar on them. You let it sit in the fridge and the sugar pulls out all the natural juices. It's sweet and delicious!
I truly believe sour cream makes everything good. Which is weird because i mightn't have always thought that but now I totally do.
I once asked if they could make me a chocolate banana shake at a diner here and the waitress thought i was INSANE. C'mon people, it's not THAT weird. I understand it might not be super common but if you think about it, it makes sense right??
I have all of those things. I think I will try. I'll let you know how it goes.
Growing up we put sour cream on our pancakes then homemade strawberry syrup. Most people use cool whip - but I still enjoy it with the sour cream.
I felt the same way about strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar when one of my roommates at BYU suggested it. But just like thong underwear, don't knock it til you try it. LOL
(So I obviously don't wear thongs any more. Even if I still wanted to, the size of the thong is not proportional to the size of my ever-expanding beehonkus. LOL)
I must say it sounds rather interesting. I will try it if I ever remember to get sour cream. Chris doesn't like it and I am acquiring a taste for it. Growing up we would eat Ritz crackers with cheese and raspberry jam on top. It is soooo good. I made all my roommates try it and they liked it too.
I am not a strawberry fan (can't stand the texture of the seeds-weird, I know) but my family LOVES this combo. My sister eats them like this every year.
Ummm....strawberries. I hope our plants produce a lot this year. I'll have to try that out. When I was little I loved to put just plain white sugar on a plain piece of bread. I think of doing that now and gag but at the time it was heaven he he.
Jen-
I was introduced to the joys of sour cream by college roommates. And now I'm a proud convert. Yes, I truly believe that sour cream makes all things better.
that is a funny combo. I am still aquiring a taste for sour cream, but I'll have to give it a try. One of my childhood favorites was "Roni Maters" It's cooked macaroni and tomato juice (heated up) with butter, salt, and pepper! It's delicious. My kids eat this the very best for dinner, when they have it their bowls are licked clean. I crave it a lot while being pregnant, we usually eat it a few times a week. :)
I put a layer of sour cream over some lemon bars once, then sprinkled with lemon zest--HELLO... it was out of this world.
okay, that I am totally trying. The macaroni and tomato recipe. . .heather you might have to convince me.
Hmm, that sounds oddly refreshing. One that my roommates thought was disgusting was Bush's baked beans with a can of tuna, mix it and heat it up and then dip corn chips into it. Mmm!
We used to eat plain, uncooked, sliced green bell peppers...Nick thinks it's gross to eat peppers like that. :)
I like to eat bell peppers like apples. Nick would probably think that was even weirder. In fact, Jon and I were hanging out with a bunch of friends in high school once and we went out for pizza. I ordered one with only green peppers. He still teases me about it.
I love bell peppers!
Hey, I just set my blog to private. Can you give me a call with your email address so that I can put you on my invited readers list? Thanks!
--Shauntae
Post a Comment