Wednesday, December 19, 2007

To Know or Not to Know

Here is an annual debate that I need you to weigh in on. Would you rather tell someone what you want as a gift, and then know that you are getting something you want/need/crave? Or would you rather have someone pick out a gift on his or her own and then run the risk of getting something you would never want or need. Is the surprise factor really worth it?

6 comments:

Cordie said...

I have a love/hate relationship with surprises! I will be of no help to your question!

)en said...

Yes, i hate telling someone what i want and then getting it. I feel dead and empty inside. This is not to say i don't enjoy getting presents, because I do. But I think I enjoy the thoughtfulness of the giver (regardless of what the gift is) even more, and telling them what i want completely takes that away and all i'm left with is a thing i could have gotten myself but i chose to give my grocery list to my loved one instead (if that makes sense). I think what we all have to do is learn to pay attention to those around us, to notice, and then be creative. And also, to appreciate the thought.

Michele said...

This is difficult for Ben and I because he hates surprises and I love them. If he knows I have something for him he makes me tell him or show him immediately. If he has something for me, he can't wait until the occasion, he has to spill the beans and my fun is all spoiled! This year he was doing really well, keeping everything a secret, but gradually, it all came out so I made him go to the store today to get me something else that he had to keep secret.

Jordan and Jandee said...

although its tempting to spell out every little thing I desire, I love the surprise....I think the best remedy for this has been my amazon wish list...Jordan can go on there and see exactly what I want. And since I have about 1500 items on my wishlist I will inevitably be surprised which one he will choose...its even more fun when he comes up with something completely different on his own that I love. so I guess I'm voting for surprises!

Rachel Seren said...

My parents always ask what we would like, but a long list of them so the surprise is which ones we will actually get. I like that because Josh's mom is the exact opposite she never askes and I always get something that in the end makes its way to DI. Josh is the perfect combination of both. He pays attention when I say something I like in passing and then when Christmas comes it's something I want and it's a surprise!!!

AJones said...

I would have to say that I would rather give someone ideas/list of what I would want and they be surprised by not knowing which one I will get...however nothing beats having someone know you so well that they pick out something that you love so much you never knew you needed it...until you recieved it!