Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Calling For American Idol Changes
I'm sitting here working and studying for my exams while Mary is watching American Idol. I am not a huge fan of it but I do have some interest in the singers and their abilities. I'd say enough interest to know that if they sing something that is not so good I hear it. I've seen in the news, on TV, and in the paper that the American Idol people are going to make some "changes" next year to increase interest and TV viewership. Well, here is my million dollar idea for change. It's called American idol, well add some Americaness to it. What I mean is this. Every year it's the same thing, the same types of singers, the same judges with the same comments. In the words of Simon, "it's predictable". What I think they should do is add some "American Joe" to the judging panel. Not someone who is well versed in music because I think their opinion would be tainted by their experience in the industry. It should be someone who can hear a note and say "yes that is a good note" or "that is a bad note." Maybe someone who would say, "yes, I would listen to you on the radio." I've had piano lessons so I know a little about music and sometimes I hear some of the singers and I can hear that they missed a note here and there. An average Joe judge I think would add some unpredictability and also represent America in way that has yet to be represented. For one, American Idol is represented by an Englishman, an 80s icon, and a guy who used to play guitar for Journey. Add something more American in there and make it more fun to watch. What do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That would be cool...they need to do something, I'm a huge Idol fan but it's just getting stale.
Well, they should get an average joe who can carry a tune or who is somewhat musically inclined, but not in the music business, per se. Because there's not much point in having a tone-deaf judge, right? They'll just agree with the tone-deaf contestants who think they are awesome but are the exact opposite of awesome. But I like the way you're thinking.
Hi Jon and Mary! After finding you on Facebook I googled to see if you had a blog and voila - here you are! So so fun to see pictures of your adorable girls. Congrats on your pregnancy and baby boy. And I'm liking the commentary on AI.
Sorry personally I don't think after this long that they will do away with one of the judges but I could do without some of Paulas outfits that she wears. A fourth judge could be interesting. Common Jon I think your hiding your true feelings. You know your a huge fan!
It could definitely use something new and that is a great idea. I was a huge Idol fan, but haven't really watched it for the last three seasons. Like you said it's a bit overdone.
I love that idea. The same old comments do get a little old. I vote Jon does it. Congrats on the baby boy coming. That is so sweet. Two girls and a boy is a great order for kids.
I vote American Idol goes away completely...
Do you remember in Ocean's 11 when one of the guys claims that Napster was really his idea and that his roommate stole it from him when he was napping? Well, consider me your college roomate and your idea...NABBED!! I just emailed it to AMERICAN IDOL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA (evil sinister laugh!)
Post a Comment