Saturday, December 20, 2008

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

Inspired by a few of my favorite people (Aly and Jen), here is my list of favorites this season. I hate to dash your hopes, but no, you don't all get one. Let's be honest: I'm no Oprah. But I highly encourage you to go get some of your own.

1. Lunch or dinner at Pizzeria 712 in Orem, Utah-- Now you have to know that I LOVE good food. This is becoming increasingly self-evident with each passing pound, I mean year. But seriously, I would plan vacations around good restaurants. In fact, when I visited my sister-in-law in New York last year I told her all I really wanted to do was visit some good restaurants, which we did. Oh the cheese, the pizza, the little French place by your apartment in Brooklyn, ah. Anyway, my mom introduced me to this place last year and it changed my life. Utah county now has good food! I mean really, really, really good food. And it's simple and inexpensive and just oh so tasty. The last time Jon and I visited we had pizza with butternut squash, caramelized onions, rosemary, and bleu cheese. My other must try is the braised short rib panini. If you eat here, it's more than food; it's an experience!


2. Only Hearts Club dolls--I was on the hunt for the perfect Christmas present for my girls. The only thing they asked Santa for was Barbies. I had a hard time with this because I'm not a big Barbie fan. I had them when I was little and I think I turned out fine. But I still don't see any great reasons for giving little girls a constant reminder of the unrealistic expectations that society will put on them as they grow into young women. Then my sister suggested I look at these dolls. They are perfect! They are just about the same size as Barbies with all the fun accessories that little girls love. But they look like young girls, not disturbing caricatures of grown women.

3. Amazon.com--This is my favorite way to shop! The prices are always cheaper than anything I can find in stores. Great customer service. Good selection. It's becoming an addiction really.

4. Eli Stone--I'm not an avid TV watcher. There are a few shows, however, that I don't miss. And this is my new favorite. I'm impressed that, so far at least, the show has found a way to treat religion and faith without disdain or incredulity. The musical numbers are a riot and it's one of the cleaner shows around. I'm sad to see each episode end and intrigued to see where the next one takes the characters and story line. There are rumors of cancellation. I'd be sad to see it go.


5. Food Network--While we're on the subject of TV, can I just say that I love the Food Network. I love the shows (Iron Chef, Good Eats, Challenges), the web site (I tried a Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe from Paula Deen that was delicious), and now they have a magazine coming out that I have hinted/strongly suggested that I receive as a Christmas gift from Jon. Yummy!


6. The Wonder Pets--Recently, Grace and Emme were watching the Christmas episode which includes this catchy tune, "When your presents are so few, and you're feeling kind of blue, here's what you should do. Be happy with what you have, happy with what you have. Listen to me, I think you should be, happy with what you have. You've got a cage that's comfy and cozy. Not everyone has one of those. If you've got a home that you can sleep in at night, you've really got it all right. If you've got a friend, to keep you company, then you're as lucky, as lucky as can be. So if you're given one present, just one--one present is better than none. A present's a present, how can it be bad? You really should try to be glad! We're happy with what we have. We really are lucky, just take it from Tucky. . .happy with what we have!" What?! A TV show that encourages gratitude, simplicity, and contentment? I'm a fan. A big, big fan!



7. Silent Night--Another song being sung around our house these days is Silent Night. Jon and I have been trying to teach the girls all the words to Silent Night so we can add more of a spiritual dimension to our Christmas celebration. At night, we've sat around our construction paper fireplace, turned out all the lights but our 4 ft Christmas tree, and sung Silent Night as a family. I've thought a lot about how simple Christmas really is. It's all about a sweet new baby, his humbled parents, and the love he brought with him to the world.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh wow! Those dolls sound really awesome! I looked close up and they are seriously SO cute! What a great idea when and if my girls get into that. In the past usually it's been to chuck the Barbie and only play with the inconsequential dog or cat the Barbie came with, haha.

AJones said...

FInally a shout out!!!
I cant wait for the day that my favorite things list has "Wonderpets" and "proportional correct, less self image damaging barbie doll knock offs"

)en said...

nice! I am glad to know there might possibly exist good pizza outside of NY. I am very hesitant about toppings on my pizza but since you know what real pizza tastes like, I will believe what you say about this place and need to try it the next time i'm in town. Good times with the favorite things. merry merry holidays to you & yours.

Michele said...

I've wanted to try that pizza place ever since we moved down here. I'm glad to hear it is so good. Next time we go out, I'll have to suggest it to Ben. Not like I"ll have to twist his arm or anything though because he loves pizza! Thanks for the review.

Sandra said...

I've never heard of those dolls, thats nice that they are modest :) and I've never seen Eli Stone. I also now want to try Pizzeria 712. Have a Great Christmas!!!

)en said...

p.s. I'm sorry, but at the end, I totally thought you were referring to baby Max and his humbled parents. Ha ha.

Scoresbys said...

I thought there might be come confusion so that's why I added the picture. Although I am humbled to have such a cute baby. Who would have thought that two totally ordinary people could make something so perfect! Oh, and my verification word is lard, which is what I feel like after eating Christmas treats all day!

Rana said...

Good food is just the best, when we go to Orem next, I'll hope to try that place, thanks for sharing your favorite things, you never cease to be amazing.

Jaggi Family said...

I only see one thing missing from your favorite things list! wink*wink