Thursday, January 1, 2009
Monitor Eavesdropping
Yesterday I started to hear a strange woman's voice coming from my bedroom. After a moment of initial panic, I realized it was coming from the baby monitor. Our base monitor was off and the sound part (sorry I don't know the technical terms) was left on. Somehow it was picking up reception from someone else's monitor. I probably should have turned it off right away, but the little nosy and unethical part of me was curious so I listened in. It was a slightly strange, but ultimately rewarding experience. This mom was so nice, sweet, and patient with her children. She never raised her voice or even sounded impatient. She sang hymns, read books, and played WITH her kids. Just listening to her brought a more peaceful spirit into my home. I thought about how easy it is to muster the "correct" parenting techniques (love and logic, right?!) when I know other people are around, and how easy it is for me to lose it when it's just me and my kids at home (Grace! You're freaking out about putting on your own dang socks!). I wonder what someone would hear if they could listen in on my day. So mystery mom, wherever you are, I promise I won't eavesdrop on you anymore. And thank you for reminding me that my kids deserve the best me I can give them, even and especially behind closed doors.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Wow...I needed this reminder. Thanks Mary.
So true, thanks for the reminder, Mary!
Sorry that comment was deleted by me. I had it sent from Ryan not a big deal but anyways.
How sweet. That's such a neat story. If my opinion matters, I think you're a very patient, loving mother. I've thought that about you many times!
Hmm. Well, i guess that's a good lesson, but it would have been super entertaining if you'd heard something outrageous or weird. :)
I m with Jen. I woould have liked a new Alfred hitchcock movie, "The Moniter-What did Mary Hear-The Mary-Kathryn Jones Scoresby Story by Alyson Jones"
(please tell me you saw that version of the office)
Oh Aly, I can just see Dwight right now. Hilarious!
amen!
That is awesome!! We actually picked up quite a few monitors in Aggie Village, it was funny. :) But what a good story, I need to pretend there is a monitor on somewhere and hopefully it will inspire me to be a better, sweeter mommy! Great post!!!
I need to hear that monitor!!! Reminders are good.
What a great example- set by a stranger. It brings perspective... thanks for the reminder.
Post a Comment