Thursday, January 8, 2009

Fair Warning: This Is a Nursing Post

Have you all heard about the woman who posted pictures of herself breastfeeding on Facebook? Facebook removed the pictures because they considered them, and any pictures including nudity, obscene. Now, I'm not going to join that debate, but I have been thinking lately about the whole breastfeeding in public question. Yesterday I took Emme to storytime at the library and Max needed to eat. So I whipped out my cute little nursing cover and just took care of business. I couldn't help but notice, however, the little sideways glances from the other library patrons. And I'm sure that the father seated across from me was not nearly as fascinated by the Highlights magazine as he appeared to be. With three kids though, I can't always schedule home feedings perfectly. Are some public places more/less appropriate to nurse in? Parks, yes? Restaurants, no? Or fast food restaurants, yes? Fancy restaurants, no? Movies, yes? Concerts, no? Or movies, no? What to do?!

As I've been writing this I've been reminded of all my nursing history, if you will.
Did you know that I can nurse and. . .
try on clothes in an Old Navy dressing room
make chocolate chip cookies (no one will ever eat my food again! I promise it was all kosher!)
interview for a temple reccomend (over the phone)
shave Jon's neck (he's probably going to kill me for that)
wipe little bottoms
blog (though not at this moment, fyi)
travel (planes, trains, and automobiles)
put toddlers down for a nap

Wow! Pretty impressive. Better go update my resume. . . "Excellent multitasker"

12 comments:

)en said...

Ok, when I first read "Yesterday I took Emme to storytime at the library and Max needed to eat. So I whipped out my cute little..." I thought, what in heaven's name is she going to say next?? Ha haha.

Also: Don't underestimate Highlights. An enthralling read for all.

That is funny though. Quite the dilemma. Good luck with that. :) Guess i'll let the moms give their two cents on this topic.

Emily said...

I say go for it. I think it is all in how discreet you are about it. I for one am not good enough at it yet to feel comfortable enough to nurse with people in close proximity to me. The most public place I have nursed is at the park. Movies - totally okay. Fancy restaurants- I'd say no. But again, it is all in how discreet you are. I say a woman once nurse in sacrament meeting...whatever you think about that!

Cecily said...

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion!! I nurse anywhere and I mean anywhere I feel I can. I just take my nursing cover up and try to be as discreet as possible. I don't see how people can have such a problem when I go to the mall and have to see bum crack and everything but nipples with the way some people dress. To me, they expose themselves more than I do nursing, so I don't have a problem with it. If they have a problem, then they shouldn't look. Just like I look away when I see someone dressed with little left to the imagination. Just my 2 cents! Happy nursing! :)

Unknown said...

I say go for it as well... I don't have a cover but I have gotten pretty pro at it. If someone looks uncomfortable about it I just say hey I got nurse my baby, are you okay with that? If they lied then to bad so sad, they had there chance for me not to do it. :)
I thought about what I am able to do while nursing too and I just have to laugh because I have done a lot. That's funny. Just shows you what we really are capable of and have to get done regardless of what we are doing.
I loved this post! Thanks.

Rachel said...

Having lived in other countries, I came to the conclusion long ago that Americans are incredibly prudish. Something natural and wonderful, they deem as disgusting and offensive. What is everyone's problem!? Seriously! Way to go for nursing in the dressing room, never thought of that place!

Stephanie said...

I nursed in SO many dressing rooms. Once I asked in a store if I could use the dressing room for that and they said NO, and I was infuriated. So I stopped asking and just let my self in at most places. I'm thinking "multitasker" is as specific as you should get on your resumer- they might not appreciate the fact that you could file their paperwork and nurse your baby at the same time. :)

Tina said...

Great post. Dave and I were talking about this sort of thing the other day and how socially its less accepted in Utah to breastfeed in public, and less acceptable in the States as compared to other countries as well.
I was nursing Spencer in the corner of a Warren's restaurant earlier this week - no one (except family) was around but its still an odd thing. I've also done the dressing room one a time or two. I'm not terribly coordinated though... so I tend to choose my public nursing carefully. lol!
Oh... and I'd love to see the resume when its done!

AJones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AJones said...

I say VIVA EUROPE!!! everyone complains about awkward situations -like the crazy lady breastfeeding her 3 yrs old in the Olive Garden - but really honestly they love it! It gives them blogging material, filler topic for boring first dates...and maybe even a chance for a spiritual analogy to be made in the middle of Relief Society.

VIVA EUROPE! VIVA BREASTFEEDING! VIVA AWKWARDNESS!

Nate and Marva Jones said...

Hey Mary- My baby is 5 months now and I am still nursing- and it definately is a question that pops into my mind. Some people do get weirded out- but they need to get over it. If I can avoid nursing in public I try- but I do it all the time at the park and waiting to pick the kids up from school. I nursed all through the Twilight movie! For me, I kind of have to avoid situations that are quiet- Gunner is a noisy eater.

Crystal said...

I have discovered lately that I can get a lot of things accomplished while nursing Eden. I make sure however Adam never discovers how talented I am, I don't want to lose my excuse "I've got to nurse the baby". I've always thought anyone can feed the baby a bottle, but only I can nurse the baby. I'm going to Milk it for the next 12 months. I also think it is fine to nurse in public as long as your covered and discreet. The baby has to eat, do people want to hear it screaming and fussing instead.

Rana said...

Mary, this is a great post, funny how it's offensive to nurse under a nursing cover, but people can walk around half naked and people don't seem to get offended by that...
Yes, You just gotta nurse, with one kid it's some what more managable, yet so lonley to always nurse in a room by your self, when you are already so lonely! With more than one, you nurse when you need to nurse. :D