Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Signs that You Are Getting Older

1. At a Relief Society activity we were playing Taboo, the game in which you try to get others to guess a certain word without using the most common words or phrases associated with it. The word was pail. I tried to get everyone to guess it by describing the Garbage Pail Kids cards. Everyone just looked at me with blank stares. When my time was over I said, "The Garbage Pail Kids! You know, like the little cards with the gross pictures on them." Nothing. Just more blank stares. And then I realized that I am the Garbage Pail Kid generation trying to talk to the Pokemon card generation.
2. In Young Women's on Sunday our lesson was on making wise choices. The teacher was giving case studies. You know, the really outdated ones that go, "Linda invited Martha and Barbara to her party, but left out Cindy. . ." I think it was about a girl telling her parents that she was going to a friend's house for a sleepover and then went to a party instead. So I said, "Hey, I think I remember a Punky Brewster episode like that." I wasn't too surprised that the girls didn't have a clue who Punky Brewster is, but when one of my counselors looked at me and said, "Punky who, what?" I knew that I was officially as outdated as our YW manuals.
3. My knees hurt.

So I've been thinking a little about what people, places, events, defined "my generation." Here's my list. Let me know what you think.
1. Music--Paula Abdul, Debbie Gibson,Sheena Easton, Mike and the Mechanics,Chicago, Air Supply, B-52's, Milli Vanilli, Roxette
2. Movies--Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Some Kind of Wonderful, Goonies, ET, Ghostbusters, The Karate Kid, Back to the Future
3. TV--The Cosby Show, Facts of Life, Family Ties, Who's the Boss, Mr. Belvedere, Growing Pains
4. Events--Berlin Wall coming down,space shuttle Challenger explosion,Oklahoma City bombing, Waco Texas fiasco, OJ Simpson
5. Jeans--pegged, stonewashed, zippers and bows
6. Hair--crimped, feathered bangs, side ponytails

3 comments:

)en said...

zippers and bows! zippers and bows! Ohhhhhhh.. (<--groan). I completely forgot about the bows. So funny.

I'm going to add some:

clothes: paint-splashed, side knot in the t-shirt
brands: Esprit, Jordache, L.A. Gear, Guess.. i feel like there's one more that i'm missing.

tv: Saved by the Bell

I'm sure there are so many more. I'll have to think about it.

Also, NO ONE had heard of Punky Brewster?? Now that is just sad. I pity THEM. "everytime i turn around! (ba-duh duh duh!) I see the girl who turned my world around..."

Lastly, garbage pail kids.. fond memories.

)en said...

GIRBAUD! that's the other brand. is that really how it's spelled? Hmm.

bowers family said...

Okay Mary...take it back 10 more years...painter pants, IZOD, bell bottoms, knickers, "electric" purple mascera, boat shoes, Land of the Lost, Brady Bunch, The Love Boat, Phil Donahue, Fantasy Island, The Gong Show, Rocky I, Rocky II, Neil Diamond, Punk Rockers, ...