Friday, October 3, 2008

Dream Guy



One good thing about being up all hours of the night nursing a newborn is that I get a chance to experience all of the quality TV scheduled between 11 and 5. There are infomercials galore, endless reruns of COPS, and, if I'm really really lucky, reruns of Saved by the Bell. The sad truth is that I can tell you the first and last name of all the main characters. Not just their names on the show, their real names. Do you know who Lark Voorheis is? And what character she played? If you guessed Lisa Turtle then you qualify as a true fan. I thought I had seen every episode, until a couple of nights ago when, to my delight, I caught a rerun of an episode from the college years This was a time when I, like most people with more than a couple of brain cells and a shred of dignity, had abandoned the show. In this episode, Kelly and Zach had decided to get married. Lisa came to visit Kelly and in the midst of their squealy girl chats, she reminded Kelly of a ritual she had to perform before she could marry Zach. The ritual consisted of gazing at a picture of Kirk Cameron and breaking up with him and declaring her love for Zach. I never realized that I had anything in common with Kelly Kapowski until that night. I, too, had a serious crush on Kirk Cameron. In elementary school, my teacher sent home a scholastic book order. I begged my mom to let me order the book "Kirk Cameron: Dream Guy" for 2.99. It also came with a free wall poster which I hung in my room. He was my first true love. The fact that an image of this book is still available on Amazon.com is a testament to the magnitude of Kirk's charm. I choose to ignore the fact that he now employs that charm to convince unsuspecting pedestrians to be saved or go to hell.
Who was your first dream guy (or girl, for all of my male readers, yes all two of you)?

10 comments:

)en said...

Hahahaaa.. oh Mary.

well, first: please. your trivia question was child's play. You're not a true fan unless you've made your own SBTB trivia cards. Oh yes. Ashley and I have come up with some truly obscure ones.

see: http://www.artisfree.com/jenslog/2006/11/iiiits-aaalrightcuz-im.html

second: first dream guy? Zack Morris, for sure. Although I know Kirk Cameron was on the list. But i think Zack was my first love.

p.s. Sometimes Little House on the Prairie is on early and I LOVE THIS SHOW. I just caught an episode a while back for the first time in 15 years and i cried. On the Hallmark channel. Quality programming.

Tina said...

LOL! And here I thought that the "Dream Guy" post would be about your new little man, Max.
Haha. That being said, I LOVED Saved By the Bell. Though, I too, didn't really watch much of the college years part. I don't know how well I'd do on trivia though... I haven't seen it in years.

Unknown said...

oh my gosh, he is so sweet. your girls are getting so big. check out our blog. wassoms

Rachel said...

Ha, that is awesome! Mine was totally Ricky from Silver Spoons!! Loved him! Would write in my little, secret diary with a lock about him!!

Kelly Fam said...

Hi mary, this is Amber Kelly. I don't think I've left a comment on your blog before, so I didn't want you to think you had some stalker person leaving you a random note. Anyway, First Congrats on little Max. He is darling. I love this post. It is true how easy it is to remember these first crushes. I think mine would have to be Zack Morris too. I had a poster of him on my wall for awhile. (now he's in that raising the bar and needs a good hair cut!). I was a huge newsies fan and could sing all the songs and do the dance moves by heart. It was around that same time as Zack Morris that I had an ever bigger crush on "Mush" on newsies. Real name... Aaron Lohr. Okay, if you know that one.... I'll be impressed. But I definitely loved Saved by the bell (I'm pretty sure i've seen every episode too. Except for maybe the college years, I did miss a few of those). Oh and Growing pains, and Full house! I've definitely seen every one of those episodes like 10 times each.

Sandra said...

Saved By the Bell was the best show!!! You just don't get quality shows like that anymore. I had a crush on Zach. Ahhh...the memories. What time is it on? What channel? he he

Rosalene said...

I believe Happy Birthday is in order today...yes? Hope you have a great day!
I'm amazed that with a newborn you are able to write anything remotely put together. Impressive.
I'm still thinking about who my first crush was? I think I have blocked out periods of my life...

)en said...

Happy birthday M.K! Hey, that sounds like Mary-Kate, as in Olsen. I was going to say Mary K but that sounds like Mary Kay, make-up guru. Ha ha. What a great name you have! So many fun possibilities. And this awesome comment is my present to you...

AJones said...

DO YOU THINK YOU COULD HAVE THROWN ME BONE THIS WEEK!!! I MEAN REALLY! YOU JUST HAD A BABY, NO ONE HAD TO KNOW AND YOU TOTALLY WOULD HAVE BEEN OVERLOOKED. BUT NO..YOU BABY BJORNED THE KID, GOT UP ON YOUR HIGH HORSE AND KICKED TO ME ONCE AGAIN...JEEZ, I'M LIKE 2-3. DO YOU REALLY GET PLEASURE KICKING PEOPLE TO THE GROUND WHEN THEIR DOWN?! I BET YOU TOOK YOUR KIDS TO DISNEYLAND ONLY TO PULL UP IN FRONT OF AN ABANDON BUILDING, PURPOSLY PUSH THE "DOOR CLOSE" BUTTON WHEN SOMEONES RUNNING TO CATCH UP, OR DRIVE RIGHT THROUGH THOSE GUTTER PUDDLES AFTER A BIG RAIN AND THE OLD LADYS STANDING ON THE CORNER! JEEZ YOUR SICK...REAL SICK.

The Clanton Gang said...

Too funny! I had a crush on every cute movie star and big hair band lead singer!! David Bowie, Patrick Dempsey ("Can't Buy Me Love"), Cory Haim, NKOTB, Kirk Cameron, Sean Astin ("Goonies"), Axel Rose. The list could go on and on! :)