Thursday, November 8, 2007

What's In a Name?

Some people know and some people don't know that my dad is a psychologist specializing in child and family psychology. He taught at BYU for some 33 or so years and has spoken at Education Week at BYU for many years as well. Because of this, he's taught or spoken to a lot of people about raising kids. When I was a student at BYU, I sometimes would meet people who had taken his class. More than once I was asked what it was like to have him for a dad or if our family was perfect. My answer was always the same. He is my dad and he's a good man and I have a good family and we like to spend time together. I don't think we are or were anything special growing up. We were just kids with a dad that talked a lot about raising kids.

The point of the thought is because the other day we had a friend over. She mentioned that her mom loves my dad and the talks he's given at Education Week. Her daughter (our friend) told us that her mom told her to listen to everything me and my wife do and say because we must be the perfect little family and that she might be able to learn something from us.

I really don't want this to sound snooty by any means. I just don't understand why people think anyone with the Scoresby name knows everything about parenting because our dad happens to have given some talks about raising kids. It alway makes me laugh when people ask me what it was like having Dr. A. Lynn Scoresby as a dad. I love my dad and I think he did a pretty darn good job raising us.

3 comments:

)en said...

I disagree. I think we are amazing kids, especially me. Mom & Dad are the best parents in the galaxy and we were lucky to get them and everyone else is just a poor sap. Sorry, but it isn't my fault. Watch and learn, everyone.

Jon Scoresby said...

Sorry for over looking you Jen. I don't know what I was thinking.

bowers family said...

Well, I grew up knowing the Scoresby name too, Jon. Then to think that you actually nabbed my sister?!?! jk But remember,you will always be trying to keep up with the JONESes. smile! Mary, will you pls fix the grammar if necessary?