Friday, November 9, 2007

The Self-Evaluation

I just read Jon's post and it made me start thinking about parenting. Because I am only a Scoresby by marriage, I haven't been exposed to the same scrutiny as Jon has. So I've decided to scrutinize (is that even a word? it looks funny) myself as a parent. Here's what I found:

5 Reasons I'm Not a Great Mom

1. I let my kids watch too much TV because sometimes I get sick of hearing them whine or I just feel like doing my own thing.
2. Instead of making sure that my kids eat the healthy (relatively) food Jon and I eat for dinner, I make a separate dinner for Emme and Grace consisting of one of the following: grilled cheese sandwich, hot dog, chicken nuggets, peanut butter and honey sandwich, waffle, or oatmeal. They are picky eaters and I cave to them every night.
3. I lied to my pediatrician about giving my kids fluoride (not because I'm morally opposed or anything. I was just lazy.) and I never flossed Grace's teeth. And I didn't take her to the dentist until she was 4. She had a billion cavities and had to go to the hospital and be put under anesthesia to have all her dental work done. Yeah, there goes the Mother of the Year Award.
4. Speaking of lying to doctors, I also fudged some details about when my kids were weaned from bottles, how often they use sippy cups, and how much TV they watch. See #1.
5. I lose my temper and get sarcastic, raise my voice, and have spanked Grace twice. The first time I felt so bad about it I called Jon at work crying. The second time, I just thought she was lucky that was all she came away with. Yes, I'm calloused.

5 Reasons I Am a Great Mom

1. I read to my kids every day.
2. We start and end every day with a hug.
3. I always think my kids are the cutest kids in the room. (No offense to all your kids. They're all cute. But every kid deserves a mom who thinks he or she is the cutest right?)
4. I play classical music and then make up stories that go with the music and we all dance around the room together.
5. My kids make me laugh.

6 comments:

melis & aaron said...

dear mary...

this is melissa (em's sister) and I found your blog on hers. I give you a hearty welcome to the blogging world. :)

I want you to know that I laughed out loud a few times during your post and I think you are hilarious.

Just thought you should know. I think you are a great mom ...even if you LIE to doctors! :) nice to "see" you!
-melis

The Clanton Gang said...

Hey, Mary! Your blog is totally hilarious!! It's fun to see Grace "all grown up!" (Well, I know she's not really--although she probably thinks she is--but she certainly isn't little Baby Grace anymore!!
~Wendi in Athens


PS: Don't take this the wrong way, but we couldn't help but laugh when we read that you spanked Grace! We always felt like heathens when we spanked Maddie around y'all becaure we knew how anti-spanking you are. Grace must know how to push your buttons, just like Maddie does ours! LOL

Jordan and Jandee said...

seriously funny! And yes I think you are a fabulous mom!

)en said...

geez, mary.. you sure have lied a lot. maybe you should send a link of this post to your bishop. HAHA. j/k, lame.

i, too, think you're a top-notch mom (from what i can tell). Also, i'll have you know Dot has mentioned that you are a WONDERFUL mother. So, there you go.

bowers family said...

Mary, you are hysterical! Okay...about the flossing...we didn't floss Sarah's teeth, and by age 9 she had 13 cavities all IN BETWEEN her teeth! YIKES! Now, I am the floss nazi. Live and learn, two years later now that we have finally paid off the dental bills. You are an awesome mom!

emily snyder said...

remember how fabulous you are!! remember how you sent a comment to all my blog entries!
i love you ! i love that you aren't a perfect mother. i love that you "lied' to the doctors!
I love that you are real and love the important things in life!
--em