Friday, January 18, 2008

Operation Sleep

So for some reason Grace and Emmeline don't like to sleep. They wake up every day between 5 and 5:30. On a good day we might get to sleep until 5:45. We are very tired and have decided that is it time to do something. Mary talked to her sister the other day and got an idea. We tried it this morning with mixed results. The idea is to get the girls to make a snack the night before and put it in the fridge. Then tell them that when they wake up they are to go to the fridge get the snack and then play in the playroom until Mom and Dad wake up. Grace got up at 5:25, went to the bathroom and then got her snacks. Emme came in a 5:40 and needed help going potty. So we are going to test this out for a few days and hopefully Mary and myself will get to sleep until 6. Oh glorious day. So what do you all think? Will this work? What ideas do you have? Vote, and let us know what you think.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my! I would die if my kids did that. We get 8am wake up calls and I am incredibly grateful. I heard one friend say she left the tv set to a kid's channel right before bed and in the morning, he knew to turn on the TV and wait until mom and dad got up. It could be too much TV but it worked for her and she got to sleep until 7 or even 8. But it's an idea to occupy them and if it means getting a little more sleep, it might be worth it.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

I like the snack idea. Our kids eat cereal for breakfast, so when they were waking up too early we would put a bowl of cereal on the table the night before, and a little cup of milk in the fridge for them to pour over the cereal. Most days it bought us at least 10 more minutes in bed.

When Ethan was a baby, (and I was pregnant with Austin) we would get him out of his crib and put him in his playpen which was full of toys that he only got to play with in the mornings...this sometimes translated into an extra hour!

Unfortunately, your girls are too grown up for a playpen (darnit), but the concept still works. If they have special toys, books, tv shows, or whatever that they can only have if they are letting you sleep, it should work.

So, the short answer, yes. I do think Operation Sleep will work.

Rachel Seren said...

That is actually what we do. Now that Cole is finally in a big boy bed, they both magically wake up at 6:25 ready to play. I can't get back to sleep but sometimes just laying there a little longer is all I need. So they get a snack and it's off to play in their room. They love it so much I get my hour work out done before they are bored of playing! It's great.

Michele said...

WOW! I'm at a loss for words. I don't think I could function if Shelby woke up that early every day. I hope both you and they are going to bed early as well. Shelby was stuck between 6 & 7 for a while and I hated it but one day I just decided to put her to bed later and not stray from bed time or nap time and it has seemed to work pretty flawlessly. Now don't get me wrong, I have had my share of flawed performances as a parent, I'm just grateful one thing is going well, for now anyway. Anyway, good luck.

Jordan and Jandee said...

I vote for a mild sedative! Really though I have no idea, a lot of the other suggestions sound great!

Jaggi Family said...

MILD NOTHING! GO BIG or KEEP On KEEPING ON